The smik gateway has two ports:
- A USB-C interface for the power supply.
- An Ethernet LAN interface for connection to your home router.
Data such as your user account and required Paulmann cloud services are hosted in Germany. There may be a problem with your smik gateway’s cloud connection.
Follow the steps below to resolve the problem:
- In the smik app: Log in again with your Paulmann account and reactivate remote control in the gateway settings.
- In the app of the voice service used: Deactivate the link to the Paulmann account and then set up the link again.
- If the problem persists, please contact Paulmann Service via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Gent can be integrated into and used in the gateway network. The remote control is displayed in the app, but cannot be configured there.
To connect the remote control to the smik gateway, please follow the steps below:
- First reset the Gent.
- Press and hold the Gent’s on/off button for five seconds to activate pairing mode. The LED will then flash as confirmation.
- Now start the device search in the smik app to find the Gent and add it to the gateway’s Zigbee network.
- Once this is done, you can connect the Gent via Touchlink to the devices that you want to control in parallel with the Gent and the smik gateway.
The Gent is displayed in the accessories area and can also be deleted from the smik app and the Zigbee network. If several Gents are used, the group assignments of the first Gent paired apply to all Gents.
No. The system will be unavailable for a few minutes while the smik gateway restarts. We therefore usually carry out firmware updates at night
between 3 and 4 a.m. Central European Time. During this time, you can of course continue to switch the light on and off using your classic switches.
Please check that your smartphone’s mobile data connection is active and that the signal strength is good. If so, restart the smik app and check the connection status again in the gateway settings. Yes. A recess for a screw head can be found on the underside of the gateway for wall mounting. Screw and wall plug are not included in the scope of delivery.
The smik gateway system has two LEDs:
- LED 1 = network
- LED 2 = globe
The meanings of the displays are as follows:Both LEDs flashing in parallel.
- The gateway is booting up and is not yet ready for use.
- The smik app cannot yet be connected to the gateway.
LED 1 flashing slowly.
- Not yet connected to the router’s network.
- Check that the Ethernet LAN cable is correctly plugged into the gateway and the router.
LED 1 permanently on. LED 2 flashing.
- Network connection from the gateway to the router established.
- Establishing Internet connection. If necessary, check whether the router settings are preventing a connection.
Both LEDs permanently on.
- Network collection established.
- Internet connection established.
Both LEDs flash briefly 3 times.
- The gateway has been reset.
Please ensure that areas and individual devices have clearly different names in the smik app and the voice service app. Yes. Both Android and iOS smartphones can be connected in parallel. The connected smartphones have joint access to the smik lighting system. Changes made on one smartphone are also visible to all other smartphones. The Zigbee device is still connected to another Zigbee network.
- A Zigbee device cannot be on more than one Zigbee network at the same time.
- Reset the device according to the respective manufacturer’s instructions and then start a new device search via the smik app.
The distance between the new Zigbee device and the smik gateway or the nearest existing Zigbee device in the smik network is too great.
- Despite the mesh network, there may be situations where the radio ranges are not sufficient.
- Move the device closer to the smik gateway in order to pair it.
The Zigbee device has no power.
- Smart devices need a power supply for pairing and ideally permanently in order to function.
There are two different ways to reset your system:
Reset via the smik app: Delete via “User settings” in the gateway settings.
- Created areas, scenes and routines are deleted.
- Paired devices, the app-gateway connection and the gateway-cloud connection remain intact.
Reset via the push button on the right side of the gateway housing by briefly pressing it five times within ten seconds:
- All user configurations and connections are deleted; paired Zigbee devices are removed from the system.
- The reset devices flash as confirmation according to the respective manufacturer implementations and can be repaired.
Yes. A Zigbee luminaire can be assigned to any number of areas in the smik app and controlled accordingly. However, it is possible in individual cases that the firmware of a luminaire limits the supported number of areas or groups. To activate remote control, please follow the steps below:
1. Use your mobile phone to connect to the same WiFi/LAN network as your gateway.
2. Create an account in the settings of the Paulmann smik app.
3. Once the account has been created and you are logged in, go to the gateway page in the settings and activate the remote control via the toggle at the bottom.
If you now leave your home network with the mobile phone, the control automatically switches to control via Internet/Cloud after a short time.
Yes. To do so, first create a Paulmann smik account and then link it to your Alexa account. You can also connect third-party accessories to your smik gateway system in this way. Before deleting from the smik app, you must first press a switch button to wake up the switch.
If this is not done, the switch will only be deleted on the gateway side and the switch itself will not be reset. The switch must then be reset manually before it is connected to a gateway again. The Paulmann Smart Switch flashes briefly several times after a successful reset.
Please check the following points first:
- Have you created a Paulmann account in the smik app and are you logged in?
- Have you activated the remote control in the gateway settings having created the Paulmann account?
- Was your smartphone on the same network as your gateway when you activated or wanted to activate remote control?
- Have you restarted the smik app?
- Have you logged in again with your Paulmann account and reactivated the remote control?
If you get stuck, please contact our service team at email@example.com. Please address the following questions prior to contacting us:
- Does a banner with an error message appear in the smik app?
- If you are using a voice assistant with the smik system, does it work without problems?
- What is your Paulmann account name?
- What is the serial number of your gateway? The serial number can be found on the sticker on the bottom of your gateway.
Smart Gateway - Frequently asked questions
As a rule, changes in the smik app are transmitted directly to the voice service used. If a problem occurs, please perform a manual synchronisation. If you use Amazon Alexa, you can do this in the Alexa app or using the voice command “Search devices”. For Google Assistant, reconnect your account in the Google Home app to start synchronisation.
- "Select the “Areas – Devices” menu item and search for the device you want to delete in the luminaire area. Swipe from right to left on the device you want to delete and then confirm when prompted. Alternatively, you can tap on the device and you will also find a delete option at the bottom of the list of options.Your luminaire will flash when the process is complete. This tells you that it has been removed from the Zigbee network and can be now re-paired with a gateway or remote control. If the luminaire was not accessible from the gateway at the time it was deleted, the device will only have been deleted in the smik system. In this case, you must still reset the luminaire manually."
Go to the menu item Areas – Devices. In the Areas tab, you can change the order by dragging and dropping in the overview list. Editing is usually possible by swiping from right to left and tapping briefly on an entry, as shown in the following examples.
Dashboard menu item:
- Tapping an area or luminaire takes you to the detailed setting options for colours, brightnesses and scenes (for areas).
- Tapping and holding on an area opens quick scene selection. Tapping a scene entry activates the scene.
- In the scene area itself, you can choose from the options Edit, Copy and Delete after swiping on an existing scene entry.
Automation menu item (with smik gateway):
- A routine can be deleted or copied by swiping the respective entry.
- Tapping the entry of a routine brings you to individual configuration options depending on the type.
Areas – Devices menu item:
- Areas (with smik gateway), luminaires and accessories (with smik gateway) can be deleted by swiping the respective entry
- Tap the entry of an area or a luminaire to change the name, symbol and assignments of the area and luminaires.
- Tapping an accessory entry takes you to individual configuration options depending on the product.
The smik app is available in German, English, French, Dutch and Spanish and can be downloaded in all European countries.
- Colours can be set via the dashboard at area or individual device level. Tap on either the name of an area or an individual unit to go to the respective settings page. You can then drag and drop the product icons to adjust the colours according to the device capabilities. An RGBW luminaire can be moved between the colour wheel and the white bar, a tunable white luminaire is limited to the white bar.
- Device icons in the colour settings area are greyed out if a device has been switched off or is not accessible from the gateway. In the latter case, a red exclamation mark is also displayed in the device list for the affected device.
Devices and their icons can only be moved according to their supported functionality. A tunable white lamp can only be moved in the white range; a dimmable only lamp or an On/Off Smart Plug cannot be moved at all.
- No. You can simply continue to use the system with the previous settings after updating the smik app or the gateway firmware. System information such as connected Zigbee devices, created areas and scenes are stored in a separate database on the gateway. The displays in the smik app are based primarily on this gateway data. In addition, certain connection data and settings are stored locally on the smartphone, which are not affected by software updates.
- These scenes are pre-configured by Paulmann to activate lighting ambiances for different phases of your circadian rhythm. Day, Relax, Focus and Nightlight differ in their brightness and white tones. Devices that cannot implement these scenes are automatically switched off so as not to disturb the atmosphere.
- You can create groups on the colour settings page of an area by simply dragging and dropping devices on top of each other. You can then move the group as one and set the desired colour for all devices. If you want to remove a device from a group, tap on the group and drag the device out of the list.
- To create scenes, please tap on the tile of the desired area in the dashboard. This will take you to the colour settings page. Once you have set the desired colours and brightnesses for the devices in the area, you can use the settings to create a new scene using the + at the end of the device list. Alternatively, you can use the corresponding function in the scene tab.
- Select the Automation menu item to create routines for your Zigbee luminaires. Depending on the selected routine type, you can personalise these in terms of days, times, scenes, fade-in times, areas etc. Once created, routines are listed at the top level in the Automation section. Deactivated routines are displayed in grey.
- "The symbol appears next to a Zigbee device if it is not accessible from the smik gateway. This may be because the Zigbee device has been disconnected from the mains, for example.
- First, check the power supply.
- Then, if necessary, reduce the distance to the smik gateway or to the next Zigbee device in the network.
- If necessary, restart the Zigbee device by briefly disconnecting it from the power supply."
- You can activate dark mode in your smartphone settings. The Paulmann Bluetooth app and smik app adjust automatically.
- You can completely personalise your rooms and areas. To do so, open the respective room via the home screen or side menu. You will see the name of the room at the top, and the on/off switch for the entire room to the right. Use the top slider to control the overall dimming level of the entire room. Use the colour wheel below for colour selection. You can either place individual lamps here or drag and drop several lamps at once and select a uniform colour. Use the slider below to select the white tone. All the luminaires in the room are listed further down. Here you can switch the luminaires on and off individually and adjust the brightness of the luminaires as desired.
- Luminaires are shown relative to their colour capabilities on the white tone bar. Different luminaires can therefore display different shades of white in reality, even though their product symbols are placed in the same position on the white bar.
Tap and hold the name of the desired area in the dashboard for about 1 second. A scene selection window will open.
- Non. Cette fonction n’est pas encore prise en charge.
- No. Smart plugs usually only support switching on and off. Successive colour change or dimming is not possible.
- Lamps are shown relative to their colour capabilities on the white tone slider. The slider therefore has no fixed Kelvin values or end points, the poles are different for each lamp. However, the colour display of the slider itself is static and shows a white colour spectrum in a bold and generic way (currently 2200–10800K).This can lead to the real lamps physically exhibiting the same colour value, but appearing as offset in the app.Example:TunW lamp 1 can be set at up to 2700K, TunW lamp 2 can be set at up to 2200K. Both lamp icons then sit on the left of the maximum of the slider, but in reality they exhibit different colour values according to their capabilities. If lamp 2 is to exhibit the same white colour as lamp 1 in reality, the user must move the icon of lamp 2 a little to the right.